Tuesday, April 9, 2013

A salad of sorts

I had planned to make a fairly healthy dinner of grilled chicken and salad, however this plan nearly didn't come to fruition.  Upon opening the fridge, I discovered a distinct lack of green, leafy, salad-y type ingredients -  it's shopping day tomorrow!.  No matter, I thought, I'll quickly blanch some frozen green beans.  Wrong again.  Strangely for our household, the vegetable supplies had dwindled almost down to the standard staples of potato, onions and garlic!  They were accompanied by a few lonely spring onions, some forlorn fruit, and some cabbage that had just placed ads in the personal section.  In light of the situation, I decided to quickly throw together a 'salad', comprising of just grilled potatoes, marinated and grilled chicken, red onion, herbs, crispy prosciutto and salsa verde.  I was surprised at how nice this combination was - I thought it would be a little more austere!  I would be lying if I said a little more greenery wouldn't go astray, but it was still delicious.  You could jazz it up (spellcheck tells me 'fancify' is not a word - it should be) with some chorizo, endive and goats cheese. 


Here's what you need:

Par boiled, then grilled potatoes, seasoned
Thinly sliced red onion
Grilled chicken, sliced (this was marinated in garlic, lemon juice, paprika, oil, salt and pepper)
Crispy prosciutto, torn into pieces
Fresh mint and basil scattered on top

Assemble the above on a plate, top with the salsa verde, and finish with some olive oil and salt. 

For the salsa verde, I created something that was along the lines of this, but I omitted some of the herbs, and added garlic and two anchovies.  

No comments:

Post a Comment