Wednesday, April 28, 2010

yay first post - for gab

Well it's happened. Me writing about food has finally come about, and only because my sister wanted a recipe for pasties! She's all the way over in the US and I mentioned them today while we were chatting on skype, and I get the feeling it made her want a little taste of home and family. It is a family recipe, and was always cooked by my Mum and Nanna; and now by us. So here you go Gabrielle:

Nanna's pasties

1kg beef mince
1 pack puff pastry
5-6 large potatoes, peeled
1 swede
1 large onion
salt & pepper
carrot (if desired)

Mince the potatoes, swede onion, (and carrot if using), or chop very finely if you don't have a mincer.
Mix in a large bowl with minced beef. Season to taste with salt and pepper. A dash of cumin, smoked paprika and freshly chopped parsley won't go astray, but I don't think you really need it.

Now you can make the pasties by cutting out circles from your pastry, filling with mixture, and folding over. Crimp around the edges with a fork.

Or you can make pastie slice by simply piling mixture down the middle of the sheet of pastry, and folding in the edges.

For either type, brush with beaten egg for a nice browning effect, and top with sesame seeds or something similair if you like.

Now, the most important part - taught to me by my Poppa. Slice the pastie in half, take a knife and make a slot inside the cooked meat, and fill with homemade tomato sauce! Reminds me of being a kid again! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment