Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Update: Salted caramel brownies


I am fairly sure that this is the first time in the history of this blog I have posted twice about the same recipe.  Once you have tried the brownies however, I am fairly sure you will forgive me.  You could probably make them any number of ways by combining the base brownie recipe with any sort of gooey deliciousness - I have listed only two ideas.



The date on the original post was June 2010, which was obviously the culmination of years and years of selfless and relentless research Kara and myself put ourselves through.  You see we were trying to hunt down that rare beast - the elusive, perfect brownie recipe.  Finally, wading through the jungle of the internet, we laid our eyes upon an outpost ran by David Lebovitz - an american pastry chef living in Paris.  You can read about his recipes and adventures here.  He has since become one of my favourite chefs - not only a published expert in the crucial areas of icecream, pastries, and bread, but also able to mix it up with the best chefs in any other culinary area.

The recipe which I will link to below uses a filling/additive in the brownie of dulce de leche.  For the un-initiated, get thee to the nearest South American/Spanish deli (Casa Iberica?) and initiate yourself, quickly.  We did make it once, however it was a long three hours of stirring gently simmering milk, and I'm not sure if I can be bothered making it again.  You can also make it yourself by boiling cans of sweetened condensed milk in a large pot of water - if you want to take that risk, go for it.  Anyway, you don't need to worry with this recipe as I have used salted caramel instead.  You can make this yourself quite easily (and safely).

Brownie recipe - click here
Salted caramel recipe - click here - The recipe is about half way down the page

Substitute salted caramel for dulce de leche, and voila!  It's ok, no need to thank us for all the hard work and testing involved in hunting down these perfect brownies.

No comments:

Post a Comment