Thursday, July 1, 2010

Request - Beef and Guinness Pie #1


Senor Collins requested a steak and Guinness pie, as apparently the establishments of Melbourne are not delivering for him.  He also suggested that I make a practice pie, to perfect the recipe, before it is tasted before himself and the esteemed critic, Mr Stow.  So this is the first attempt, based on a recipe by Jamie - see here - I did tweak it a little, and I was very pleased with the results.  I omitted the mushrooms, and most of the cheese.  Normally the thought of extra cheese in a dish wouldn't put me off, but I didn't know about all that cheese inside  a pie.  After filling the pie dish, I just added some grated cheese on top before topping with the pasty.  This was enough, and the top of the pie had a few gooey chunks of cheese which were delicious - see below.


I also added about a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar, and 1/2 a tablespoon of soy sauce for some richness.  And once I had added the guinness, I also added 1 cup of beef stock, and then enough water to cover the meat.  Also, instead of adding flour directly into the sauce, I tossed the beef (I used chuck steak) in flour seasoned with salt, pepper and smokey paprika.  Instead of chopping the carrots, I grated them as I'm not sure that I like big chunks of vegies in pies.


No comments:

Post a Comment