Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Who knew porridge actually tasted nice!

Growing up in a household devoid of porridge, I have only recently discovered it's redeeming properties when it is teamed up with fresh fruit.  I'm fairly sure that we never had it in the house when I was younger, I only remember eating weetbix, and perhaps corn flakes.  Not that I had a problem with that - the thought and the look of porridge well and truly put me off eating it back then.  I now know that it makes a tasty and filling breakfast, which is also easy to make.  I think it makes a real difference having some sort of warm cereal for breakfast, it just makes you feel better about the world!


Porridge with Berry Compote

In a small saucepan, add 1/2 cup of berries of your choice to 1 tbsp water, 1tsp lemon juice and 1tsp sugar.  Cook over a low heat until the mixture thickens.

In another small saucepan, place 1/2 rolled oats, 1/2 cup milk, and 3/4 cup of water.  Stir constantly while cooking over medium heat until the porridge reaches the desired consistency.

Serve topped with a knob of butter, or some honey.

Porridge also goes well with sliced or grated apple, banana, or I'm sure any other fresh fruits.

No comments:

Post a Comment